A Few Empties for August
How are you holding up during week 967 of the pandemic? Masking up and staying healthy, I hope!
I did a pretty good job of emptying a variety of beauty products in August: some body care, facial skin care, and even lip and hair care.
I really didn’t do much masking in August; I’ve had a red area on my upper left cheekbone that I’ve been trying not to use many products on. The redness is finally starting to go away, so I did manage to bust out masks a couple times.
Would I Repurchase?
- Whole Foods 365 Colloidal Oatmeal Body Wash, Fragrance-Free: this is a new formula of the body wash I used to use, and I don’t like it. It’s more watery and I feel like it made my chest break out in small pimples. I wish I could go back to their old formula.
- Vanicream Lite Lotion: I bought this lotion for my hands because of allllll the COVID-19 preventative handwashing. I wanted the regular Vanicream, but at the time I purchased this at Target (back when it was still safe to actually shop in stores), they only had the lite version. It absorbs quickly but the original formula is more moisturizing.
- Thayers Facial Toner, Unscented: I’ve purchased this many times and already have a backup bottle ready to use.
- Fresh Sugar Caramel Hydrating Lip Balm: from my December 2018 Play! by Sephora box. I started using this as my nighttime lip balm after I emptied my beloved original Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask in July. I enjoyed this lip balm but wish it came in a tube; if it did, I’d consider purchasing it.
- EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46: I’ve also repurchased this sunscreen multiple times and have already opened my backup bottle.
- Saturday Skin Bright Potion Probiotic Power Serum: this mini came in the Soko to Tokyo skin care set that I bought during the holidays last year. I only used it in the mornings and it took me longer than I expected to finish the little tube. The serum has microbeads that burst and absorb into the skin as you massage it in. I feel like my skin looked pretty good while I was using it and I’d consider purchasing it in the future.
- Briogeo Revive & Repair Duo (Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Scalp Scrub Shampoo and Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask): this duo comprised the Sephora birthday gift that I chose this June. I really liked the scrub shampoo—particularly the minty scent—and recently bought it full sized. The jar is not the best container for a shower product, and I do wish it came in a pump or tube. The conditioner is nice but nothing too special for my hair, so I probably won’t buy it.
A Couple Masks
- Bliss The Detoxifier Holographic Foil Sheet Mask: I snuck this mask in right at the end of the month, and I enjoyed it! Would repurchase.
- Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels: the brand initially gifted me these. They’re great! I’ve since received them as a birthday gift from my mom.
- Andalou Naturals Instant Luminous Face Mask, Turmeric & Gold Clay: I love this single use mask. This little pod had been sitting in my stash for quite awhile so I decided it was time to use it up. I do wish the brand made a more eco-friendly jar version; I’d be more likely to repurchase it that way.
Bye, August 2020…you will not be missed. It was been an especially rough month in the U.S. (to name just a few things: the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin and the reactionary vigilante shooting, wildfires, hurricanes, RNC garbage, the death of Chadwick Boseman…and of course we’re still in the midst of a pandemic that our malignant narcissist of a president refuses to take real action on). Here’s hoping everything starts to take a turn for the better this fall.