Working My Way Through My Stash
Well, here we all are still battling this pandemic. I’ve remained pretty good about using up products that have been sitting in my vanity for awhile instead of constantly buying shiny new things to try. So I had a decent number of empties in July, many of which are minis.
Here are the sheet masks I used:
Would I Repurchase?
The below notes come with a caveat: they’re based on whether I’d repurchase solely due to my opinion of the product itself. For future purchases I do plan to look at brands’ responses to BLM. I want to say I won’t buy brands that have had a lackluster response, but it’s a bit of a tricky issue. I don’t know how effective “cancelling” a brand is due to poor BLM response. If a brand eventually goes out of business because enough people boycott it, all of its employees are then harmed because they’ve lost their jobs. So how productive is that? Is simply raising awareness by calling brands out the best way to go about it?
My gut is that the latter scenario is more effective. I truly don’t know the answer, but I know the issue is not black and white (so to speak). I welcome other perspectives on this; please let me know your thoughts in the comments. Social justice is on my mind a lot these days so that’s where this commentary is coming from. I’m still (belatedly) learning and working on how to be a better ally!
Okay…let’s get into this month’s empties.
- thisworks Evening Detox Cleansing Water: from my Winter 2018 FabFitFun box. I didn’t want to use this around my eyes because it contains essential oils, but I used it as a first cleanse at night before washing my face. It’s pretty good but expensive for a cleansing water ($41), so I wouldn’t buy this on my own.
- Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel Mini: I love this stuff. I’ve purchased it full sized before and would do it again (the packaging has been updated since I got this mini).
- Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser Mini: I liked this the first couple times I tried it, but after using it more I feel like it might have made me break out a little. I will say that this is one brand I’m not particularly keen on continuing to purchase; they have a history of poor response to criticism (most recently regarding BLM) and don’t seem to be learning from their mistakes. Here’s a good rundown on Smalltownbeautyaddict.com.
- Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment Mini: I loved the radiant finish this product gave me—my friends complimented me on my skin during a video chat when I was wearing it—but the shade didn’t quite work on my skin tone. It’s green in the jar and blends out, but the final finish read too yellow on me. I didn’t mind wearing it around the house, but I wouldn’t want to wear it in public during the day.
- Belif The True Cream – Moisturizing Bomb Mini: I’ve used a mini of this before and really liked it both times.
- Native Coconut & Vanilla Deodorant Mini: not a big fan. This deodorant left my pits feeling sticky, even in the winter. I did like the scent, though.
- Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate Mini: I’ve also used a mini of this before. It’s fine but doesn’t do much for my skin. And the scent is a little perfumey for my taste.
- Bite Beauty Agave Lip Balm: this is a tube of the original formula; it lasted me forever! I LOVE this stuff and would 100% buy the original formula again. The Sephora reviews of the new vegan version aren’t that great, so I’m hesitant to try it.
- Fur Shave Cream: full disclosure…I know one of the co-founders of this brand. However, I purchased this shave cream on my own. I love the lemony scent and the thick formula of this shave cream. I mention all the time that my legs are incredibly sensitive and I occasionally had some itchies after shaving them with this cream. It worked well for my bikini line, though. Honestly, I’m not sure I’d buy this again just for my bikini line.
- Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mask: love it! Would totally repurchase.
- GLAMGLOW Bubblesheet Oxygenating Deep Cleanse Mask: so fun! I’d repurchase this too.
- MasqueBar Mistletoe Sheet Mask: I bought this at Target over the holidays and busted it out for Christmas in July. It was soothing and I would buy it again.
- Primera Flaxseed Clarify + Calm Sheet Mask: the brand sent me this mask in a prize pack for being an Instagrammer who posted about their products. So I’ve bought their products on my own, but this mask was gifted. I really enjoyed it, as I have their other products.
Old & Gotta Go
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask: I’m decluttering this because I’ve had it for probably at least a couple years (ick). I tossed the little spatula that comes with it because cleaning it after every use was just another step in my nighttime routine. And it’s unsanitary to keep sticking my fingers into a jar that’s been open for so long. I didn’t like this mask nearly as much as the Bite mask, but everyone else seems to love it. Shrug.
- ColourPop BFF Mascara: I’m also tossing this because I got a little irritation at the outer corner of my right eye recently after using it. I’d had the tube for a long time but didn’t actually open it until a little while ago. Because I’d had it for so long it probably wasn’t that fresh. The mascara only cost $8, so I thought it would be safer to toss in case it was the source of irritation.
Bonus pics! Linus picks his favorite sheet mask empty:
While Cheddar says he prefers wash-off masks:
That’s a wrap on July empties! Did you have many empties last month?