A Very Busy Labor Day Weekend
1. Hamilton: last Friday I FINALLY got to see this musical after years of wanting to go! The show came to the Kennedy Center this summer and my friend managed to snag tickets through the online system. Our seats were in the first row of the upper mezzanine, which turned out to be a great spot. I’ve listened to the soundtrack a million times but it just does not compare to seeing the show live. I don’t often feel at ease sitting in the middle of a row in a room filled with people. But at times during Hamilton I felt like I was the only person in the room (where it happens). It was pretty magical and I’d love to see the show again.
2. Tie One On DC: last week was a very busy one! John and I were invited to a annual bow tie-themed party held for the first time at the Washington National Cathedral. Both the party and the venue were pretty spectacular. I had never set foot inside the cathedral before, and it is gorgeous. The party’s lighting scheme made it look even better! It’s weird to think that the same space hosted John McCain’s funeral just two days later. But I know that the organizers of this event planned it well in advance of his passing.
3. August Facetory: my latest sheet mask subscription has arrived! My delivery is a little late each month, but no big deal. The theme is “Girls Just Wanna Have Sun” and they sent four sheet masks meant to hydrate the skin before or after sunny day activities. I certainly could have used one of these after the rooftop pool hangout I went to over Labor Day weekend! I’m looking forward to trying these masks out. The Aqua Bamboo Black Mask sounds particularly interesting—it’s made out of a bamboo charcoal sheet, which I’ve never used before.
4. 5th Anniversary Edition Bullet Journal: when I received an email from Bullet Journal announcing that their limited edition 5th anniversary notebook was on sale, I immediately ordered one. Copper foil orchid illustrations cover the the journal —it’s like they designed it just for me! Federica Santaroni created the beautiful illustrations; the notebook came in a matching decorative box that I will definitely not throw away. Bullet Journal only produced 999 copies and they’ve sold out, so I’m thrilled I was able to get one. My copy is number 896 of 999. I literally just cracked open a fresh Bullet Journal this month so I won’t get to this one for awhile, but it’s nice that I already have my next notebook.
5. Peju Wines: I finally got the bottles of wine that I ordered during a tasting on my Napa Valley girls’ trip! I selected a 2016 Sauvignon Blanc, a Province blend, and a 2014 Merlot. While at Peju I enjoyed tasting these wines, particularly the Province—a red and white blend that’s meant to be served chilled. It’ll be fun to revisit my Napa memories each time John and I crack one of these bottles open!