As I age I become even more interested in skin care, but I haven’t bothered to write a post about my morning and nighttime skin care routines…until now. My routines evolve fairly frequently, what with seasonal changes and the samples I receive (mostly via Play! by Sephora). Both of my skin care routines are currently pretty consistent, though, so I thought it’d be a good time to write about them.
Today I’m discussing my morning skin care routine in the dead of winter—a time of year that requires moisturizing the hell out of my skin. I live in Washington DC and even with a humidifier running in the apartment, our place is still quite dry. In this weather, my skin will definitely look and feel tight and dry if I use a lighter moisturizer instead of a heavier one, so I’ve adjusted my routine accordingly.
If the above photo looks like a lot of products to use each morning…well, you’re not wrong. But I don’t use every single product every single day. Let’s go through each one:
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Deep Dive Cleansing Gel: this cleanser lives in the shower so I’ll use it to wash my face in there. I do skip showering on occasion (don’t judge), and I may or may not wash my face on those mornings.
- Alba Botanica Even Advanced Sea Algae Enzyme Scrub: another shower product. I usually use this a few times a week.
- Dr.G Gowoonsesang Derma Dr Lab Hydromoist Toner: a newer addition to my routine. I’ve been using this after cleansing but before treatments and moisturizers. In the super dry winter weather, my skin sucks this stuff right up.
- Andalou Naturals Luminous Eye Serum: I wouldn’t say it makes my under-eye area luminous, but it’s good for light moisture.
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum: I’m on my second bottle of this product and while it’s not magically erasing my dark spots, I do think it helps brighten my overall skin tone.
- Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream: this product has been a lifesaver this winter. Even when the temperature drops into the teens, the cream helps keep my skin moist.
- GingerChi Mini Jade Roller: I don’t remember to use this every day, but it’s a nice treat to roll over my face, especially if my eyes are puffy.
- SPF: I’m almost finished with the deluxe sample of Drunk Elephant Umbra™ Sheer Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 that came in the Volume 2: Come C About Me gift set. This product is very thick and, for some odd reason, sparkly. Once I use it up I’ll go back to applying my usual SPF, Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50. Gotta protect my skin from the sun!
So that’s how I generally treat my face in the morning these days. What does your winter morning skin care routine look like? Do you have any favorite skin care products that help kick start your day?
Stay tuned for a post about my winter nighttime skin care routine!