So Many Beauty Empties
There’s been a lot going on over the past couple of weeks, and I didn’t feel right blogging about my May empties when we hit June. Racism, white supremacy, and police violence of course haven’t been solved over the past two weeks. Though I’m going back to my usual content, please know it doesn’t mean I’ve stopped working on being a better ally. A lot of people are out protesting, while others, such as myself, are spreading awareness, donating, and educating ourselves from home. In case you missed it, I posted some anti-racism resources that I’ve found helpful, along with links on where to donate, Black-owned beauty brands to support, and more.
Without further ado, these are the products I emptied in May (so many!):
I used fewer sheet masks than usual, plus a few other products in packets:
Would I Repurchase?
- Virtue The Perfect Ending Split End Serum: I’m glad I got a mini of this before committing to a full size. I don’t think it did much so I won’t buy.
- Acure Body Beautiful Pear & Fig Shampoo: meh. I didn’t love the corresponding conditioner either. I like their skin care but haven’t been impressed with their hair care.
- Tula Purifying Face Cleanser: I received this in my spring 2019 FabFitFun box. I liked it well enough, but am not sure I loved it enough buy it on my own.
- Fourth Ray AM to the PM Gel Cleanser (mini): ColourPop sent me this as a freebie with a makeup order awhile back. It’s a good, affordable cleanser with a refreshing cucumber scent. I’d consider purchasing!
- Overtone Purple for Brown Hair Coloring Conditioner: this stuff is really fun and actually does deposit a purple tint on my dark brown hair. It’s messy to use and I hate messes, so I’m not sure I’ll buy one of these again. Though I’m tempted to try the rose gold color at some point.
- Drunk Elephant Kamili Cream Body Cleanser (mini): this came in a 500-point Sephora Rewards set; I liked it okay but prefer to stick to unscented body products. This one smells coconutty.
- Drunk Elephant Sili Body Lotion (mini): from the same rewards set. I had some slight leg irritation after using this lotion for a few days. It may have been from an old razor head but I wouldn’t buy this one (it also smells like coconut).
- Bliss Masks—Mighty Marshmallow, Pumpkin Powerhouse, and Mint Chip Mania: I loved all three of these mask and would repurchase.
- Milk Makeup Cooling Water (mini): I’ve repurchased this refreshing undereye stick a bunch of times, and I would do it again.
- Farmacy Beauty Dew It All Eye Cream: I’ve also repurchased this cream and have recently opened a new jar.
- Glossier Milky Oil: this was a pretty good eye makeup remover but the bottle is pretty small and micellar water works just as well.
- Ecolips Mongo Kiss Peppermint Lip Balm: love it! I’ve repurchased before and would buy again.
Masks and More
- Saturday Skin Cotton Cloud Probiotic Power Mask: I liked this mask from Sephora’s Soko to Tokyo set and would buy it.
- SkinRX Lab Marine Moisture Mineral Mask: I didn’t like this one very much so I wouldn’t buy.
- Ahava Natural Dead Sea Bath Salts: these came in my winter 2019 FabFitFun box. Our bathtub isn’t big enough to stretch out in and really enjoy so I don’t normally take baths. But I did take one using this full packet, per the instructions. It smelled nice and didn’t irritate my skin.
- Neogen Pink Cactus Liftmax Knit: love this mask and would buy!
- Tonymoly Changing Magic Foot Peeling Shoes: not the best foot peel I’ve tried, but still gets some of the dead skin off. This wouldn’t be the first foot peel I’d go for again, but the price is good so I might buy again.
- Wander Beauty Rose Gold Baggage Claim Eye Masks: love these and would repurchase.
- Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum: I only used a little sample packet of this one night but I liked it and might consider splurging on it someday.
- Boscia Pore Purifying Black Charcoal Strip: not quite as good as the Biore strips. I don’t know if I’d buy these again but they do still pull junk out of your nose!
My birthday is coming up (June 13) and I’m getting some beauty gifts from my mom. I’m overstocked on most beauty products so I don’t really have a need to shop for much in the near future, but when I do I’ll refer to the long list of Black-owned beauty and wellness brands that @esteelaundry has compiled on Instagram. I’m sure some of the brands in this empties have probably had a not super great anti-racism response, and I know I can certainly be more thoughtful about the brands I choose to support.
I hope you’re staying well and safe! Don’t forget to keep wearing a mask in public, avoid touching your face, and wash your hands!