1. Mozart in the Jungle: now that it actually feels like winter outside, Netflix and chill is happening a lot in our apartment. Or should I say Amazon and chill? After this show’s big wins at the Golden Globes on Sunday, my husband and I decided to check it out. We’re only four episodes in so far, but it’s a charming show and we’re looking forward to watching more. The cast alone is worth watching: Golden Globe winner Gael Garcia Bernal, Lola Kirke—Jemima Kirke’s younger sister—Malcolm McDowell, Bernadette Peters, Saffron Burrows. Non-Prime subscribers, it’s time to cancel your plans this weekend. To celebrate its Golden Globe wins, Amazon is streaming the series for free this Friday through Sunday!
2. The Man in the High Castle: aka “the show that pissed off New Yorkers with an extremely ill-advised subway ad campaign.” Yet another Amazon original series we’re currently watching! Despite the advertising misstep I’m enjoying the show, which is based on Philip K. Dick’s alternative history novel that imagines a United States occupied by Nazi and Japanese powers after the Allies lost World War II. I first heard of the show at Comic-Con last summer and thought it sounded intriguing. The show has quite a terrifying premise, and while it’s not the best show ever, it has held my interest through seven episodes so far (my husband’s, less so). Rufus Sewell in particular is excellent as Obergruppenführer John Smith.
3. The Turtle Hospital: we went on vacation in the Florida Keys almost a year ago, and one of the highlights of our trip was when we toured The Turtle Hospital, located in Marathon, Florida. The place rescues ailing sea turtles (they literally have a turtle ambulance that gets dispatched when calls come in about turtles in distress) and once the turtles are healthy enough to survive in the wild they release them. I’m including this place in my Friday Five this week because we recently got an email asking us if we’d like to renew our adoption of one of their five permanent residents, Rebel (which we did). If you’re ever in the Keys I highly recommend taking a tour of the place—they do really great work. And if you can’t get down to the Keys but you love turtles, you can always make a donation or adopt a turtle on the hospital website.
4. That Indian Drink: I spotted this stuff at my local grocery store and was curious, so I bought a bottle. The drink is a probiotic yogurt smoothie, but it’s also a popular drink in India called lassi. I’m not usually one to buy drinkable yogurt because the thought kind of grosses me out, to be perfectly honest. The store had three flavors and I went with the blueberry cardamom. It was really tasty! I actually can’t remember how much it cost—probably about $3.99 for an 8 ounce bottle—so it’s not something I’d buy often but it’s good for an occasional treat.
5. After the Storm: we had some truly batshit weather this past Sunday that concluded with a short but intense late afternoon rainstorm. When the rain stopped, the sky was simply stunning.