1. Scream Queens: another year, another new Ryan Murphy show…not that that’s a bad thing! I love Murphy’s campy sensibility, and SQ is full of that, along with an excellent Heathers vibe, a heaping helping of extra bitchy Emma Roberts snark, and SO MUCH SCREAMING. I was amazed-slashed-amused by some of the stuff the pilot managed to get past FOX censors, including a metric shit ton of poop talk and the terms “gashes,” “blumpkins,” and “bikini burger” (I had to Google the latter two, so thanks for adding those to my vocabulary, Chanel No. 1). I’m confused by Nasim Pedrad’s character’s outfits—she’s supposedly stuck in the 90’s but her clothes look like solid 80’s to me. And what’s up with Chanel No. Whatever’s furry earmuffs? Also…candle vloggers, lol. 😛 My favorite characters so far are Jamie Lee Curtis’ Dean Munsch and Niecy Nash’s rent-a-cop Denise Hempville. It’s also fun to see Lea Michele play a super-weirdo. I can’t wait for more!
2. Wahlburgers: my favorite New Kid’s burger chain recently opened up in Coney Island and I got to try it out while I was down there earlier this week. Because I don’t like meat I got the Portobello Mushroom Cap which comes with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and “wahl sauce.” I got a side of cole slaw to go along with it, and thoroughly enjoyed both. Also, they have sweet potato tots which I didn’t try but definitely want to give a shot next time! Alma’s Macaroni Salad sounds pretty good, too.
3. HelloFresh Creamy Orecchiette with Brussels Sprouts and Wild Mushrooms: I’m not doing a full-on HelloFresh recap post for this week’s veggie box, but I did want to include my favorite of the three meals in my Friday Five! This dish was the perfect meal for a week that said goodbye to summer and hello to fall. The Brussels stayed somewhat crisp and the lemon juice lent a bright, summery note to the dish, while the mushrooms and thyme added a nice fall warmth. This was an easy one to make, and I’d totally cook this again on my own.
4. The Visit: I forgot to talk about this movie last week! My husband and I saw the movie when we were in St. Louis on our own, very normal visit with my parents, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew VERY little about this film going in, other than the fact that it was M. Night Shyamalan’s latest and that folks were saying it was actually good. I won’t say any more here; I think the less you know the better. But if you’re a horror/thriller fan, definitely see this one.
5. #PizzaRat: my spirit animal.