Phew, what a week it’s been! We moved into our new apartment last Saturday and have been unpacking and settling in ever since. We still have a loooong way to go, but I must say it’s coming along quite nicely.
And now, my Friday Five.
1. West Elm Peggy Mid-Century Sectional: our new couch!! You guys, we are in LOVE with this thing. We picked the standard version that’s sold in stores, because if you want to get a different color or fabric it takes 8 to 10 weeks to deliver. We got rid of the crappy loveseats from our old apartment and were not about to sit around on the floor for the next two months, so we were just fine buying this lovely grey heathered sectional. The couch was 20% off in the store the day we went shopping, and we had a 15% off coupon that the saleslady was nice enough to apply on top of that, so we got a really sweet deal on this baby! I’m not kidding, when I posted this pic to my FB the day it arrived, it got 30+ likes. Apparently my FB friends are really into new couch pics. 🙂 [UPDATE 2/23/17: I’m hearing that a lot of these couches are so terrible that West Elm has removed them from their website and is offering a refund or a free replacement for anyone who purchased one after July 2014. FWIW, our Peggy sectional has not lost any buttons or collapsed in the year and a half that we’ve had it, though the buttons occasionally pop up. We just push them back down.]
2. Our new fridge: look at this thing. Just look at it! It’s so big! You’re probably all “what’s the deal with the fridge?” [in a Seinfeld voice], but the fridge in our last apartment was so tiny—I was taller than that thing! (I’m pretty tall, but come on). It’s so, so nice to have a normal-sized fridge. We actually have room to put stuff! There’s even a holder for one bottle of wine! Clearly we haven’t stocked up yet, and it doesn’t make sense for us to do so until after we get back from Comic-Con. But…YAY. And for the record, the fridge is an Amana.
3. Sriracha Lime Pretzel Crisps: I picked these up at our former local deli as a moving day snack, and they are delicious! I’ve had a couple of the other flavors before but this one is new so it caught my eye. We were shoving these in our faces while we waited for the movers to show up. Crunchy, spicy, and tangy. What more could you want in a snack?
4. Barilla Pronto One Pan-No Boil-No Drain Spaghetti: I swung by one of our new local grocery stores yesterday to pick up a few things so I could make a quick and easy dinner—the first dinner I was going to cook in the new apartment! The plan was to make a version of the peanut noodles that I made a couple weeks ago, and I needed to get some noodles. When I saw this Barilla Pronto spaghetti I was intrigued, so I decided to buy it. It’s quite easy to make; all you do is put the noodles in the bottom of a large saute pan and cover them with three cups of water. Then you turn the burner on high and let the noodles cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the water is absorbed. I stirred my homemade peanut sauce in and voilà: peanut noodles. (I also threw in some sliced carrots, red bell pepper, and sesame seeds, then mixed in lime juice and sriracha. YUM.) The noodles stuck together, but a drizzle of sesame oil helped lube them up (sorry, that sounded gross). The noodle texture wasn’t quite as good as your regular boiled noodle, but they weren’t inedible. Would I buy this again? Sure, if I was feeling extra lazy, why not?
5. Another find at the local grocery: new Chobani flavors! At least, Chobani flavors I’ve never seen or heard of before. As you may have gathered, I’m a sucker for new flavors of items I’ve already tried. So, I had to get one of each: Tropical Citrus, Mixed Berry, Plum, and Watermelon. The latter two flavors are limited batch, which is always fun. So far I’ve had the watermelon and I liked it—watermelon just screams summer so it was a perfect afternoon snack for me! I’m looking forward to trying the others soon.
A quick note about next week’s Friday Five: it’s probably not going to happen. I will be in San Diego for Comic-Con, and I’ll be super busy running around the convention center and attending Supernatural parties, Nerd HQ Conversations for a Cause (my friend got us tickets to Supernatural AND Colony!!!), playing Comic-Con Bingo that I’m creating myself, and generally being the biggest geek ever. Rest assured, I always take millions of photos and I will do probably the longest, nerdiest blog post ever about my experience once I return.
Have a happy and safe Fourth of July weekend, my lovelies!!