1. Deadpool: the ultraviolent, foul-mouthed trailer for this flick was a huge hit at Comic-Con last year, and when the
major nerds serious enthusiasts at Comic-Con approve of something, you know it’s gonna be good. My husband and I saw the movie last weekend, and it was so much fun that I want to see it again. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect casting choice for the role. The movie was just so fucking funny! Go see it. Now. (Warning: you will have Salt-N-Pepa’s “Shoop” stuck in your head for about a week afterward.)
2. A Birchbox thank you gift: I recently got a cute pink leather keychain with a Birchbox order (a full sized IPKN Flash Cream Radiant Primer because I liked my January sample so much! #BirchboxBrag) as a thank you gift for making it to the one year mark as a subscriber. No, Birchbox…thank YOU!
3. Proofreading Fail: there’s a glaring typo on the back of a Band-Aid box I bought this week. It’s like nobody cares about accurate spelling anymore…it makes me want to rip my eyes out and then cover them in “bandgages.”
4. The Magicians: I’ve read Lev Grossman’s “Harry Potter for grownups” trilogy, and while the books don’t top my list of favorites, I got excited when I heard the books were being adapted for TV. SyFy took on the show, which premiered earlier this year. So far I’ve watched the first four episodes—they’re available for free on SyFy’s website, even if you don’t have cable—and I’m sold. It’s a little dark, creepy, sexy, and completely enjoyable to watch. Harry Potter it ain’t: The Magicians is a show in which the (grad school-aged) characters drink, screw, and throw mildly bleeped f-bombs around. The production team does a great job of making the magic look alive and believable, too. You know what else is magical about this show? Stella Maeve’s hair. And the pilot is well worth watching merely for the super eerie final scene alone. The only downside is that you can’t watch past episode four unless you have a cable TV account login.
5. Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing: I am a big fan of this brand’s yogurt dressings, particularly their yogurt ranch (I dip my pizza crust in, duh). The last time I went to get yogurt ranch my grocery store didn’t have it, so I bought this dressing instead…and it sure is yummy. It sort of tastes like that green sauce you get at an Indian restaurant (which I’m pretty sure is a cilantro-mint concoction) mixed with yogurt. Also, there’s cotija cheese in it. Dressing with cheese inside? It’s like they made it just for me.