First Five of 2020
1. The Witcher: we watched this new Netflix fantasy series fairly quickly and I’m already ready for more. I’ve only read the first book, Blood of Elves, from Andrzej Sapkowski’s series, but it turns out there are two prequel short story books that I should have read first. Apparently season one is based on those stories, so no wonder the show didn’t feel too familiar when we first started watching. Oopsie. Anyway, despite my feeling of unfamiliarity I really enjoyed the show. It’s not Game of Thrones-level good, but that’s a high bar to surpass. Also, I’m OBSESSED with Yennefer of Vengerberg’s makeup.
2. New Year’s Eve Makeup: speaking of Yennefer’s makeup, I loved it so much that I tried to recreate it for my NYE look. I decided to do that rather than my standard sparkly gold eyes and red lip. Her look is pretty simple but striking: a dark green lid and a nude lip. I layered about 5 different eyeshadows to try and replicate the lid, but mine wasn’t as dark. And my nude lip is more pigmented than hers; that’s because a true nude lip makes me look dead. Overall I’m happy with how it turned out!
3. Rent the Runway: for NYE I rented the Parker Black Sonoma Dress. This pic is bad (ignore the dirty mirror I took the selfie in…I need to clean it!). I forgot to have John take a proper photo of me wearing the dress once we were out and about! This dress is super cute, with 60s vibes due to the bell sleeves. I loved the cutout details around the sleeves and waist—they gave the dress a modern twist.
4. Red Orchid Bloom: I’ve been waiting for this orchid to bloom for quite awhile now, and its one bud just opened up this week! Most of my orchids have been pretty dormant over the past few years, so it’s always thrilling when I get a bloom.
5. Cozy Cheddar: we’ve had our cats for seven weeks now and they’ve adjusted so well! Before we even brought them home we bought a couple really soft, cozy beds that Cheddar and Linus haven’t shown any interest in curling up in. Cheddar has used them for kneading, which is super cute. But this week, Cheddar finally decided to get cozy and snooze in one of the beds. It made me so, so happy. Look at this cutie pie!