1. Brooklyn Bridge: last weekend my husband and I returned to NYC for a few nights—it was my first time back there since we moved to DC in February! We stayed at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, which is so close to the pedestrian entrance to the bridge that I couldn’t NOT walk over it. Amazingly, I only walked the Brooklyn Bridge once in the fifteen years I lived in NYC, so I made it a point to do so again as a visitor. I went to the bridge this past Monday afternoon, and though it was a little chilly and overcast it was still a wonderful, quintessentially New York thing to do, and I enjoyed my stroll very much.
2. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask: I’ve read about how wonderful this mask is at sucking all the gunk out of your pores, so I recently ordered myself a one pound jar from Thrive Market for less than $5 (Amazon sells it for about $9.20). The mask is literally just 100% natural calcium bentonite clay in powder form; to use it, you mix equal parts powder with water or apple cider vinegar and apply it to your skin. As it dries, you can see the mask tightening on your face and pulling at the skin near the edges of where you’ve applied the mask. I’ve only used it once and only with water as the mixer, but I liked it and want to try using apple cider vinegar instead of water next time. The only issue I have with the mask so far is that it’s very hard to mix into a smooth paste free of clay chunks. This jar will last me forever and it’s an amazing deal, especially at the Thrive price!
3. Trader Joe’s Turkey Kit: Thanksgiving is just around the corner (I can’t believe it’s already next week!) and we have family coming to visit us in DC. I saw this gingerbread turkey kit in a TJs mailer so I decided to pick one up and make it as decoration for our Thanksgiving dinner table. I hope I can do a good job building this one, because I struggled some with the haunted cookie house (from Target) that we made last month. That one still turned out pretty well, though, so fingers crossed!
4. Illume Copper Leaves Candle: Whole Foods had a 25% off candles sale last week so I made an impulse purchase on this autumn-scented soy wax candle. It smells GREAT…so seasonally appropriate!
5. Pumpkin Sage Ravioli: yep, I’m still talking pumpkin products because FALL. When I spotted this limited edition Simply Enjoy ravioli at my local Giant supermarket I knew I had to try it. I’ve made it twice now, the same way both times, and it is delicious! I toasted some slivered almonds, made a brown butter sauce, and then topped it all with a mountain of parmesan cheese. Hearty, not at all healthy, and oh so tasty.