For my final Friday Five in a year I think we’re all ready to set afloat and shoot a flaming arrow at, I’m going to retain a bit of positivity and list five of my favorite things from 2016.
1. Our Los Angeles Vacation: we had some lovely times traveling in the LA and Palm Springs area early this year. We stayed in Hermosa Beach, fed lorikeets at the aquarium in Long Beach, enjoyed stunning vistas in Palos Verdes and Abalone Cove Shoreline Park, and had some fun times with friends and family. We also managed some quality relaxation time by the pool in Palm Desert and visited Joshua Tree National Park (the first of three national parks we went to this year!). If I had to pick a favorite part of this trip, I think I’d say Joshua Tree. National parks are a precious thing and it’s always special to visit them.
2. San Diego Comic-Con: despite being a complete energy-sucking and often anxiety-inducing whirlwind, Comic-Con remains a highlight for me every year. This year was probably one of the roughest for me, but I still managed to have a pretty good time. There were plenty of highlights, but I think my absolute favorite this year was the Stephen Amell & Friends Conversation for a Cause panel at Nerd HQ, mainly for this classic Barrowman moment:
3. Our Wyoming & Colorado Vacation: travel is obviously a big theme here. I’m fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit this year. It’s really hard to say which part of this two-week vacation was my favorite, but I did particularly love taking the Jackson Hole Aerial Tram to the top of Rendezvous Mountain and back down. I also really loved the Alpine Visitor Center in Rocky Mountain National Park…so I guess I’m attracted to alpine terrain and the views that you get from waaaaaaay up high.
4. Bullet Journal: I learned about Bullet Journaling early this year and began my own very basic version. I sort of fumbled along with it until this fall when I filled up my first half-assed notebook and ordered a new one along with more supplies so I could have more fun with it (though you don’t need special supplies; technically all you need are a notebook and a pen). I haven’t written much about it because it feels very personal, but I may be ready to do a Bullet Journal post someday. Suffice to say, I’m loving the system, and if you’re a fan of pen and paper along with analog lists and planning, I highly recommend researching the Bullet Journal and starting your own—especially with the New Year just around the corner. Two great resources in addition to the official Bullet Journal website are Boho Berry and Tiny Ray of Sunshine.
5. Sheet Masks: I’ve enjoyed the hell out of treating myself this year, and sheet masks now play a major role in my self-care routine. My January K-beauty Birchbox kicked off the obsession, and it just won’t stop. Sheet mask selfies will always be fun to post on Instagram! And I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve posted about sheet masks on my blog this year. Taking a bit of time to do something nice for yourself is very important…and I make time to do it a lot. 🙂
As I scrolled through old blog and Instagram posts from this year I discovered that there were many more things I could have included in my list of 2016 favorites, and that’s a very good thing. Despite the general crapfest going on in the world, my own life has been quite fortunate this year and I am so incredibly lucky for that.
So, that’s all for 2016 here, folks! Have a safe New Year’s Eve celebration, and here’s to a happy, healthy, and productive 2017 for all of you. Cheers!