1. Broad City: I know, I’m late to the party as usual (which is ironic, because IRL I’m literally—in the proper, non-millennial use of the term—always early) because this show is now in season three. I was in need of some laughs this week so I started watching this show on Hulu Plus and blew through the first season in two days, then started season two. I can’t find a clip online of this hilarious scene from the season two premiere so an image will have to do, but it cracked me up so much when Abbi (Abbi Jacobson) and Male Stacy (Seth Rogen) scream at a kitten who found its way into Abbi’s room. That kitten has some mad acting skills.
2. The Revolution Was Televised: I love books, and I love TV, so a book about TV is right up my alley. I mentioned this Alan Sepinwall book a couple weeks ago when I first got it. If you’re as into TV as I am, this book is a must-read. It’s all about the “golden age” of television that began with The Sopranos and includes chapters about all of my favorite shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, and Buffy. There are tons of spoilers, but if there’s a chapter on a show that you haven’t watched yet, you can just skip it until you’re ready (unless you don’t care about being spoiled on how a show like The Shield ends). I was especially fascinated to read about the human chaos that is David Milch (Deadwood’s creator). Add this book to your reading list now!
3. Olay ProX Microdermabrasion + Advanced Cleansing System: honestly, this is not something I would have thought to buy because a word that contains “abrasion” sounds like something I don’t actually want to do to my face. But my dad got this kit in a gift bag after winning gold medals in a ski race (at 77 years of age, he is bad ass) and he was definitely not going to get any use out of it. I’ve only used this thing once so far, but after I’ve had more time with it you can expect a review.
4. Adesso Hayworth Floor Lamp: we recently got one of those rare coupons for 20% off one item online at Bed Bath and Beyond (they’re almost always for in-store purchases only, which Abbi of Broad City will tell you never actually expire). So we decided to upgrade our shitty, flickering Ikea lamp with something better. No more Ikea lamps for us.
5. Lilac Season: these blooms have been enticing me every time I walk down Fuller Place on my way to the subway, so I just had to snap a pic yesterday. If only iPhones came with scratch ‘n sniff (Tim Cook, are you listening?).
Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!