Mindhunter John Douglas, Election Day, Sheet Masks
1. John Douglas at Death Becomes Us: Brightest Young Things hosted a true crime festival in DC last weekend. True crime is super popular right now due to podcasts like My Favorite Murder and Serial as well as documentaries like Making a Murderer and The Staircase. I have a master’s degree in forensic psychology (which I’m not using), so this stuff is right up my alley. When I saw that John Douglas was doing a panel, I had to go! The character Jack Crawford from Silence of the Lambs is based on him, as is Holden Ford in Mindhunter. I’ve read a few of his books and was interested to see him speak in person. He basically just sat and spoke for an hour and a half, in a somewhat-but-not-quite meandering fashion, but it was fascinating to see the legend in the flesh.
2. I Voted: midterm elections took place this Tuesday and I braved the nasty rain to cast my vote. DC is weird because we don’t have representation in Congress…well, not 100%, anyway. We do have one representative but she’s not allowed to vote on the House floor. I wasn’t going to let that or the rain prevent me from voting. And the results are a step in the right direction! Which dumbass has two thumbs and wore a red shirt to vote? This gal!
3. This Freaking Pumpkin: on the way to vote I spotted this jack-o-lantern with a slug crawling out of its mouth. How creepy and perfect is that? And whoever carved this pumpkin did an awesome job.
4. La Colombe Pumpkin Spice Draft Latte: I’ve tried this brand’s Draft Vanilla Lattes before and they’re quite good. So when I spotted this 4-pack of pumpkin spice lattes at Whole Foods I basically turned into Gollum. My precious…I can’t wait to try these!
5. October Facetory Sheet Masks: it’s always a joy to receive four new sheet masks to try out each month! I’m so behind on using my Facetory masks, but I’m slowly but surely working my way through them. The packaging is always so cute! I really liked the Facetory brand Woah H20 sheet mask from September, so I’m especially looking forward to trying their Glow Baby Glow two-step mask.